Records and archives are important assets to ICCROM, helping us in our decision making and providing evidence of our daily activities. By making our archives available via this portal, we aim to promote accountability and transparency in our work.
Established in 2000, our Records and Archives Office helps us manage our records at each stage of their life cycle, while providing external users with access to archival material. Here is a brief overview of what this important job entails:
- Developing policies and procedures to create, maintain, preserve, and access analogue and digital records, including e-mails.
- Developing and updating tools such as classification schemes and retention schedules used for classifying, filing, retaining and disposing of records, including those of a confidential nature.
- Overseeing the management of records, including their accession, transfer, appraisal, disposition, storage and safe keeping.
- Developing records management skills among ICCROM staff through advice, guidance and training.
- Planning, coordinating and implementing projects to support the archival processing, digitization, preservation and access of historical records: archival fonds and special collections, including photographs, audio-visual materials, architectural drawings, posters, heritage material samples and didactic collections.
- Elaborating archival descriptive tools (finding aids) to support users in accessing archives.
Implementing strategies for the long-term preservation of records, including born-digital records.
- Responding to requests for information, participating in research activities, and assisting and advising staff and external researchers on topics such as reproductions and copyright clearance.
- Managing and adopting measures to ensure compliance with provisions aimed at protecting personal data processed by ICCROM.
Our archives cover two broad areas or fonds:
The fonds are divided into sections corresponding to the following administrative or functional subdivisions:
These sections are arranged into Series, which are aggregations of records accumulated through the same process or activity. They are organized by office or programme, or by the staff member who created the records.
To search the Archives, click Explore at the top of the page. You can search by keyword or browse the fonds listed.
Digitized records can be viewed online and downloaded if needed. If you would like to make an appointment to conduct research in person at ICCROM, please fill out our Archives Contact Form.